using a Logitech Bus Mouse with SCO 2.3.1

Jim O'Connor jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Wed Apr 12 00:54:25 AEST 1989

After consulting the SCO "General Compatibility" section of the release notes
for 2.3.1 to make sure I purchased a supported product, I bought a Logitech
Bus Mouse.  I have RTFM'd and followed all the procedures for mouse
installation and use, documented therein.  Here's what I did:

- set Logitech board to use INT 5 (no lpt2 present so it should be OK)
- installed board, verified hardware by booting DOS and running mouse test
  program provided by Logitech
- went to single user mode in Xenix, did "mkdev mouse", follwed inst. for
  Logitech bus mouse associated with the "multiscreen" only, linked and
  installed new kernel without error messages
- re-booted system, a "mouse" device does not show up in the device list
  displayed during boot (I start getting worried)
- tried running "usemouse" and get: (now I'm really worried)
  d_open: unable to open device ``/dev/mouse/bus0'' for read only
  ev_open: error attaching device
  usemouse: cannot open event queue(6)
- tried running VP/ix with "MOUSE   /dev/mouse/vpix0" defined and get:
  Error 6 opening mouse file /dev/mouse/vpix0
  Press Enter to Continue

Now, I'm really concerned, cause it's only in VP/ix that I really want to use
the mouse anyway.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I can proabably trade the Bus mouse
back in for a Serial mouse, but I'd like to be able to use the Bus mouse
(and not tie up a serial port), especially since the docs say you can.
James B. O'Connor			jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences Corporation		615/821-4022 x. 651

*** Altos users unite! mail to "info-altos-request at tiamat.fsc.com" ***