Question about SCO Xenix and stack size

Tony Lei tony at joshua.math.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 25 12:10:50 AEST 1989

In article <12743 at pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c184-bw at holden.Berkeley.EDU (Percy "Mr. Fun" Schwartz) writes:

>I recently ported a program from an Altos 2086 running Altos Xenix
>3.4b to an 80286 based AT clone running SCO Xenix 2.2.1.
>The program compiles and links O.K. but it dumps core at run time,
>giving the classic "Stack overflow - Bus error: core dumped" message.
>
>Can somebody tell me how I can increase the stack size?
>What is the default stack size for the SCO (Microsoft?) compiler?
>(I know I should RTFM but its in another office that I can't get to -
>no flames please):-).
>
>BTW I am certain that its not the code since I have the program
>running on a variety of machines running UNIX, Xenix, and DOS and
>they all work fine.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Percy
>Internet:  c184-bw at holden.berkeley.edu
>UUCP:       ..!ucbvax!holden.berkeley.edu!c184-bw

Percy, Use the -F option to increase the sack size.
Now can somebody answer this question:

What do you do when the stack and the data exceeds 64K?

I'm also using SCO Xenix but I'm using INFORMIX ESQL/C along with it.
Because of this I don't really have much control over the space allocated
for data.

I'm getting the following error message

        "bin/ld: stack and data exceeds 64K"

My applications program is pretty big and I started out using -F 8000 and
since then I've gone down to -F 2000.

I'm still getting the above error during linking .

Tony Lei

INTERNET:	tony at math.ucla.edu
UUCP:		..!ucbvax!ucla-cs!math.ucla.edu!tony