TeX compile bug on Xenix?

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.ateng.com
Sat Feb 4 04:09:00 AEST 1989

According to tony at ajfcal.UUCP (Tony Field):
>I am attempting to build TeX 2.9 in C from the University of Washington
>distribution files. My system is Xenix 2.2.3/386 with a 2.2.1/386
>development system (i.e. reasonably recent).
>
>For some reason *tangle* does not seem to execute correctly when:
>                tangle tex.web ctex.ch
>is executed.  I therefore cannot build the tex.pool file.
>
>I believe that this is a result of a *broken compiler* [...]

Yes, it is a broken compiler.

I had a similar problem, but now I have a working TeX under Xenix. (But see
below.) The Microsoft compiler is broken in several ways when it comes to
using 8-bit and 16-bit quantities.  For example:

	char a;
	unsigned short b;
	char c[3][50000];

	main()
	{
	    /* ... */
	    c[a][b] = 1;
	}

is broken.  Incorrect code is generated when generating the intermediate
value "a * 50000": a signed 16x16 multiply is used, instead of an unsigned
multiply.

My "solution" was this:  change the definitions of "integer" and "schar",
as well as the typedefs in tangle itself, to all be "int" or "unsigned".
(With the exception of "eightbits", which I left as "unsigned char".)
No 16-bit manipulation is required, and tangle works.

My tex passes the trip test, so I guess I've got a working tex.

However -- I can't output!  Does anyone know of a Laserjet driver that
doesn't require a Pascal compiler?  I have no way to output my dvi files!
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip at ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!