TeX compile bug on Xenix?

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Sun Feb 5 09:49:06 AEST 1989

In article <1989Feb3.130901.2920 at ateng.ateng.com> chip at ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
}According to tony at ajfcal.UUCP (Tony Field):
}>I am attempting to build TeX 2.9 in C from the University of Washington
}>distribution files. My system is Xenix 2.2.3/386 with a 2.2.1/386
}>development system (i.e. reasonably recent).
}>
}>For some reason *tangle* does not seem to execute correctly when:
}>                tangle tex.web ctex.ch
>>is executed.  I therefore cannot build the tex.pool file.
}>
}>I believe that this is a result of a *broken compiler* [...]
}
}Yes, it is a broken compiler.
}

The compiler is broken indeed. I got Tex 2.0 way back when there was no
C-version available. (or web2c) Tangled everything to Pascal, then translated
into C using a cross-compiler, then hacked it for a couple of months and
finally got it to work with SCO Xenix 2.2.1 for the 286.

Has been posted on comp.unix.xenix (last december) and is in the queue for
comp.sources.unix (since last september).

Paul.