Weird File Names (Removing them)

Steve Manes manes at marob.MASA.COM
Mon Feb 20 20:01:29 AEST 1989

>From article <91 at raider.MFEE.TN.US>, by root at raider.MFEE.TN.US (Bob Reineri):
| One of them has a file in his home directory that I can't get rid of to save
| my life. In a regular 'l' listing, it has a filename of the greek letter
| Sigma. Doing an l with the -b option reveals a value of '/744'.
| rm refuses to recognize it, even if I just try to delete all files interactively. That is, 'rm -i *' skips over it.

That won't work because '*' attempts to expand a directory into standard
filenames as an argument for 'rm'.  Try this:

1) get the inode number with 'ls -i'.

2) type 'find . -inum NNNNN -exec mv {} <newname>, or
        'find . -inum NNNNN -exec rm {}'

--
Steve Manes            Roxy Recorders, Inc.             Magpie-HQ BBS
UUCP : {rutgers|cmcl2}!hombre!magpie!manes              (212)420-0527