ARC for Xenix

Frank Bicknell frankb at usource.UUCP
Sun Feb 5 08:28:37 AEST 1989

In article <14212 at cup.portal.com>, compata at cup.portal.com (Dave H Close) writes:
> The ARC program for Xenix is very handy to have.  But it
> obviously was converted from MS.DOS and gets confused when a
> filename has more than 12 characters.  The file gets

There's also the problem with unrecognized packing types above
... lessee... about 8 or so (at least in my latest version).  Did
they really have to have 40-'leven different ways of squeezing
the juice out of a file?  Anyway, is there a version for Unix
which recognizes all the latest packing variations?

> a few questions for the gurus of the net:
>
> 1.  Is there a version of ARC for Xenix without this bug?
> 2.  Once I have such a strange filename in my directory, how
> 	can I remove it or rename it?

I don't know about #1... but as for #2, there are a couple of
ways to get around that one.  One is a program called fix which
appeared in a not-so-recent edition of UnixWorld and which
floats about periodically.  I can't find my source (probably on
some dusty floppy somewhere), but if you can't find it anywhere
I'll dig it up for you.  It's a c program which take the _inode_
number of the file as an argument and changes the name of the
file to "fix.out".  You may then rename or remove fix.out at
your leisure.

Another way, which works sometimes, is to close in on the errant
file by using wildcards.  First you have to find out what the
name of the file is... try 'ls | hd' or the like to cause
non-printable characters to become printable.  Find a unique
pattern in the filename and zap it with wildcards.  Actually, if
you have enough faith, you can type in all of the characters of
the filename (assuming they are 7-bit and you terminal is
sufficiently talented) and, even if some sequence clears your
screen, the file will be found and zapped.

If that doesn't work, you can resort to moving all the other
files out of the directory and zap it with 'rm *'.  That should
do it no matter what.

killer!usource!frankb
frankb at usource.UUCP