ARC for Xenix

Dave H Close compata at cup.portal.com
Thu Feb 2 14:45:57 AEST 1989

The ARC program for Xenix is very handy to have.  But it obviously was
converted from MS.DOS and gets confused when a filename has more than
12 characters.  The file gets archived but the 13th (and 14th) characters
are trashed.  When I un-archive a file, the trash characters become part
of the filename.  "l|hd" shows strange things like 0xC0.  Such files
can't be accessed, or even removed; Xenix complains that "<filename> not
found", though the message is sometimes lost because the console
driver interprets the strange characters as a request to clear the screen.
I have a few questions for the gurus of the net:

1.  Is there a version of ARC for Xenix without this bug?
2.  Once I have such a strange filename in my directory, how can I remove
    it or rename it?

Thanks in advance for any help available.  Mail or post, as you like.

Dave Close, Compata, Arlington, Texas
compata at cup.portal.com