Bad Hertz Value

Dave Hammond daveh at marob.MASA.COM
Tue Feb 21 05:00:36 AEST 1989

In article <345 at belltec.UUCP> jom at belltec.UUCP (Jerry Merlaine) writes:
>In XENIX/386 2.2 and 2.3, when we run the Streamlined Networks TCP/IP
>rsh and rcp programs, this string appears after a successful run:
>
>	Bad Hertz Value
>[...]
>These strings do not appear anywhere in the kernel of any or the libraries.
>Or the include files.  I'm about to launch a "strings" of the hard disk.
>It won't tell me what file the string is from, but at least I'll know that
>it doesn't pop into existence from the cosmic background radiation.
>
>Anybody have a clue?

I've seen this message when 'su'-ing from root to a non-root login.
I believe this indicates that HZ is not being exported by the
parent process.

A quick 'strings /bin/* /usr/bin/* | grep [H,h]ertz' came up with:

sh: Bad or missing HZ (hertz) value in environment
time: invalid hertz value.
acctcom: invalid hertz value.
prof: invalid hertz value.

Hope this helps.