higher resolution ega/vga modes in xenix 386

pri=-10 Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Fri Feb 17 19:27:34 AEST 1989

In article <13159 at steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>I am interested in using the 43 line mode for EGA and 50 line mode for
>VGA. Currently the only way I can do this is by running an editor under
>VP/ix. Before I go to a lot of work, is there a supported way to put the
>screen into these modes? Does someone sell a device driver to allow it?
>I don't have any intension of giving up virtual terminals, and I have a
>script to convert a text file to dos format, start the editor in 50 line
>mode, and convert back. The problem is that I can't open a UNIX format
>file on the fly, and VP/ix is a *lot* of overhead.

In SCO Xenix 2.3.1 see vidi(C). For example:

	vidi  e80x43

should put your EGA or VGA card into 80 columns by 43 rows mode.

You could put this in your .profile/.login. You will also want to modify
your termcap/terminfo database to add an ansi 43 line entry so that things
like vi know about it.

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532