Weird File Names (Removing them)

Frank Bicknell frankb at usource.UUCP
Wed Feb 22 02:38:20 AEST 1989

In article <281 at swusrgrp.UUCP>, jeff at swusrgrp.UUCP (Jeff Tye sys adm) writes:
> In article <91 at raider.MFEE.TN.US>, root at raider.MFEE.TN.US (Bob Reineri) writes:
> > One of them has a file in his home directory that I can't
> > get rid of to save my life. In a regular 'l' listing, it has
> > a filename of the greek letter

> Try this:
... find the inode # ...
> 3)	Type this command (very carefully):
>
> 		find . -inum inode -exec rm {} \;   (return)
>
> 	(where inode is the number found in step 2)

> Voila'! It's gone.

BE CAREFUL that there are no other filesystems below '.', however.
Although Bob said the file was in his home directory and
filesystems are rarely mounted below home directories, if you
generalize this solution to, say '/', you could wipe out as many
files as you have filesystems mounted!  (ie there could be an
inode #x on each of those filesystems).

Safer would be:

 		find . -inum inode -exec rm -i {} \;

or use a fix program which does this only to the file in the
current filesystem (where _is_ that source code?).
--
Frank Bicknell; 1405 Main St, Ste 709; Sarasota, FL 34236-5701
killer!usource!frankb