Weird File Names (Removing them)

Jeff Tye sys adm jeff at swusrgrp.UUCP
Mon Feb 20 14:58:41 AEST 1989

In article <91 at raider.MFEE.TN.US>, root at raider.MFEE.TN.US (Bob Reineri) writes:
> One of them has a file in his home directory that I can't get rid of to save
> my life. In a regular 'l' listing, it has a filename of the greek letter
> Sigma. Doing an l with the -b option reveals a value of '/744'. Anyone can
> give me a way to delete this annoying little file ? Thanks.
>
> rm refuses to recognize it, even if I just try to delete all files interactively. That is, 'rm -i *' skips over it.

Try this:

1)	In the directory where the file is type:

		ls -il *|more

2)	Note the number in the left column corresponding to the file
	that you want to remove. For example:

	242 -rw-------   1 jeff     group         29 Feb 19 21:47 junkfile

	(The number on the left is the inode number)

3)	Type this command (very carefully):

		find . -inum inode -exec rm {} \;   (return)

	(where inode is the number found in step 2)

		find . -inum 242 -exec rm {} \;

Voila'! It's gone.

--
Jeff Tye @ Copperstate Business Systems                   VOICE (602) 244-9391
ncar!noao!asuvax!hrc!swusrgrp!jeff         southwest!/usr/group (602) 275-2541