Need advice on a tape drive

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Fri Feb 17 03:37:19 AEST 1989

In article <3700025 at eecs.nwu.edu> skrenta at eecs.nwu.edu (Richard Skrenta) writes:

| It seems that most of the tape backup units out there were primarily designed
| for DOS; some manufacturers even charge extra for the Xenix drivers.  And
| I've seen some horror stories about tape units posted here....
|
| Does anyone know of a model that they can recommend?  Any to stay away from?

  Some vendors really like to screw their customers. Xenix has included
tape drivers for several years, and they seem to be better than most of
the vendor supplied routines.

  As for brands: I have used both Archive and Wangtek, as sold by
several vendors under OEM names and directly from the vendor. There is
so little to choose between them that I won't make a recommendation.
They all work well, and the 2.3.1 version of Xenix has a device driver
which adds error correcting capability.

  There are also a few other brands, and some which are not marked as
supported by SCO will still work, although you better not call them for
support.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)