8-port serial async cards??

Frank Korzeniewski frk at frksyv.UUCP
Tue Feb 7 20:47:46 AEST 1989

In article <8878 at alice.UUCP> debra at alice.UUCP () writes:
>You realize you are being very demanding (even for a board with an
>8Mz 80186). We used to have an old Altos, with controllers for 8 terminals.
>We used 1 port for 4800 baud uucp-input, and the others for 9600 baud
>terminals. Any uucp traffic (input) on the one port would visibly slow
>down output on the other terminals (even when using only one) to 1200 baud.
>Those boards used a 4Mhz Z80 I believe.

Several years back I ported CCPM to a multi-processor. The configuration was
a main processor 4MHz Z80 (yes that is 4). The passive satellites were 5Mhz
8088s. The console thruput with 8 satellites generating continuous console
output (1 direction - out) was about 75,000 baud. An 8Mhz 80186 should be
able to match this. All it takes is a lot of care in coding the routines
in assembler.

Frank