8-port serial async cards??

bill vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Tue Feb 7 14:23:44 AEST 1989

At this point I said:
>>You might want to look at the Anvil Stallion.  Board is 8 or 16 in an AT
>>configuration or up to 12 in an AT system.
And you said .....
>ARGH!

And then a lot of point I hadn't heard about.  Thanks for the info.
(much deleted!)

>One more thing -- their latest drivers don't work right (with the
>transparent print and all).  ........
>
>The older drivers don't work with VP/ix or attached printers....

I don't have the transparent print drivers, but do have the older drivers and
haven't had a problem with local printing.  Have not used local print with
terminals, but with PCs that have dual ports, one for async the other for
block transmission from a Burroughs.

All I had to do was define the port to be the terminal port, and in the
interface description just put the code to turn off the keyboard and turn on
the port.  At the end of the script I reversed it.

For the word processor, Lex, there is a terminal description screen that
permits me to tell the system what byte seqeunce turns on the port.  Works
fine.

All this is on 386 SCO with a Model 80 IBM, and the anvil board.  I did have
one strange problem however.  Sometimes a print job would not finish.  It
would just stop halfway through.

This was on an Epson 320i, driven through an Anvil serial port.  Turns out
that when the print job thought it was through it appeared the port got turned
off, or changed.

At then ed of the rc file I added this line
(stty </dev/tty007 9600 ixon ixoff -ixany; cat >/dev/null </dev/tty007 &)
This kept the stty setting locked in and no more problems.

Lee Penn gave me that one.

>If you're intending to do high speed modem work, choose something else.

Argh!  NOW you tell me.  Mine is in shipment now.  But it's my own machine and
I am the primary user.  My current machine gets real doggy as it is when a
netnews feed comes in on the TB - it can only get better.

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill at bilver.UUCP