Problems running various utilities under VP/ix

Larry Dighera root at conexch.UUCP
Sat Feb 25 06:23:03 AEST 1989

In article <17583 at tgate.UUCP> schacht at tgate.UUCP (Bryan Schacht) writes:
>We have VP/ix installed on Xenix 2.3.1 on a 386 system, and we've been
>running MS-Windows quite successfully.  That is, until I installed a
>Logitech mouse.  I can use the mouse with other programs like project
>schedulers, etc., but when I use the mouse with MS-Windows, VP/ix crashes with
>the message "General fault; cannot emulate instruction".  Note that it
>crashes the instant one moves the mouse in any direction.  The one unique
>thing I should mention is that I have the mouse connected via a serial port
>on a Corollary multi-port unit.  They claim that it should be supported, etc.

The VP/ix Release and Installation Notes proclaim the following:

        Mice

        VP/ix supports the Microsoft InPort Bus Mouse, and compatible
        mice.  In order to run under VP/ix, a bus mouse must be
        compatible with the Microsoft InPort Bus Mouse, not the original
        Microsoft Bus Mouse.

        VP/ix also supports serial mice.  However, serial mice do not
        work as well with DOS applications under VP/ix as they do with
        DOS applications under native DOS.  We recommend that you use
        a Microsoft InPort compatible bus mouse with VP/ix.

Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)