Serial Port problems

Felix Gaehtgens felix at netmbx.UUCP
Sat Jan 21 23:43:12 AEST 1989

In article <392 at stca77.stc.oz> peter at stca77.stc.oz (Peter Jeremy) writes:
>I have been having problems with serial ports shutting down with the message
>"Garbage or loose cable on serial port xx, port shut down".  This has occurred
>on two different machines (ITT PS/440 and IBM PS/2), but only on ports talking
>to modems.  I am running Xenix/286 2.2.1 on both machines.

i've seen these problems too several times and all i did was just disabling and enabling the port again. this seemed to work. i couldn't find ANYTHING wrong
with the modem or the cables, though. eventually, the problem disappeared.

i'd like to know what really caused this message though, and a fix too (if thereis one)

so long,
				felix
BANG: ..pyramid!tub!netmbx!xaos!felix	SMART: felix at xaos.sub