Serial Port problems

Peter Jeremy peter at stca77.stc.oz
Mon Jan 16 13:15:22 AEST 1989

I have been having problems with serial ports shutting down with the message
"Garbage or loose cable on serial port xx, port shut down".  This has occurred
on two different machines (ITT PS/440 and IBM PS/2), but only on ports talking
to modems.  I am running Xenix/286 2.2.1 on both machines.

In both cases, the modems were powered from the same supply as the computer
and the cables appear satisfactory.  (The modems are leased lines and the
TelCo reports that the modems are working normally).  The problem only shows
up at one end of the circuit as well.

Has anyone else had similar problems?  Does anyone know of a fix?
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)         peter at stca77.stc.oz
Alcatel-STC Australia        ...!uunet!stca77.stc.oz!peter
41 Mandible St               peter%stca77.stc.oz at uunet.UU.NET
ALEXANDRIA  NSW  2015