Serial Port problems

Wain Dobson wain at seacbc.UUCP
Sat Jan 21 07:33:11 AEST 1989

In article <392 at stca77.stc.oz> peter at stca77.stc.oz (Peter Jeremy) writes:
>I have been having problems with serial ports shutting down with the message
>"Garbage or loose cable on serial port xx, port shut down".  This has occurred
>on two different machines (ITT PS/440 and IBM PS/2), but only on ports talking
>to modems.  I am running Xenix/286 2.2.1 on both machines.

Ran into the same problem. Did not investigate it to the core; however, I was
using a Cardinal modem. I simply went back to my US Robotics. Since, I have not
had time to pursue the problem, I am *assuming* that the message arises from
the "intelligent" firmware on the Cardinal. But, this is only a wild guess.
And, probably, I'm quite off base.
--
Wain Dobson
	...!{uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc!tessera!seacbc!wain