Xenix mail system

tif at cpe.UUCP tif at cpe.UUCP
Thu Jan 19 05:16:00 AEST 1989

Written  1:05 pm  Jan 17, 1989 by ispi.UUCP!jbayer in cpe:comp.unix.xenix
>	I would like to totally replace the standard Xenix mail system.
>Currently I have smail running, with a few kludges in order to let it
>work with Xenix.  What I need are copies of the local-transport-agents
>(mail and mailx) and/or definitions of what they do.  I want to get rid
>of the execmail program as well as all the other unexplained stuff that
>SCO supplies.

The purpose for all the other unexplained stuff has to do with
the networking implemented by Microsoft (micnet).  It also allows
some pretty powerful aliasing.

I'm a bit defensive of anything that sounds like criticisms of micnet
because it works and most people are too set in their ways to try it.
There are actually no users on the machine which answers the phone as
"cpe."  All the users are scattered on several different machines
which all talk to each other by micnet.  Micnet isn't transparent
or anything fancy but it works better than UUCP for tightly connected
systems.  (It is transparent as far as mail paths go.)

			Paul Chamberlain
			Computer Product Engineering, Tandy Corp.
			{killer | texbell}!cpe!tif