Problem with uucp login with SCO XENIX 2.3.1

Roger A. Cornelius rac at jc3b21.UUCP
Mon Jan 16 11:13:28 AEST 1989

>From article <402 at mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US>, by root at mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey):
- In article <598 at tapa.UUCP>, larry at tapa.UUCP (Larry Pajakowski) writes:
-> Uuto is also on the 2.2 286 and 386 versions of pre HDP SCO Xenix.
->
-> Larry
-
- Yeah, but I think what Jim is talking about is Altos Xenix for the 286.
- The word 'Altos' represents a completely different ball game.  Altos has
- good equipment, but their PROPRIETARY xenix is *NO* SCO 286.  You can't even
- take binaries from SCO (ie, products of the cc on SCO) and run them on
- the 286 Altos.  Something to do with the header formats being different.
- While SCO has uuto (and everyone else), it is not at all suprising that
- Altos would have left them out.  No offense to Altos, they just do things
- differently...there own way.
-
- Mark.

Altos uses version 3 derived Xenix on the 286 machines as opposed to SCO's
system 5.  This is why you can't take binaries directly from one to the
other without mods.  If you compile on SCO with the -compat compiler
flag, you can run most binaries on the altos.  You can also use SCO's
fixhdr program to modify some binaries so they will run.

As far as Altos' Xenix being no SCO, I totally agree.

Roger