Problem with uucp login with SCO XENIX 2.3.1

Fred Fish fnf at estinc.UUCP
Thu Jan 26 02:13:10 AEST 1989

In article <13351 at ncoast.UUCP> allbery at ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>Altos and SCO both get Xenix from Microsoft.  My opinion?  I can't see how
>anyone can stand SCO Xenix (well, pre-3.2, at least).  (For that matter, I
>can't see how anyone can stand Intel processors....)

I used to feel much the same way about both Xenix and Intel processors.
Gimme a REAL Unix with a REAL processor.  A couple months ago, marketing
realities forced us to acquire a 386 system to support several important
customers using SCO Xenix, so we got a Bell Technologies MPE and SCO Xenix
2.3.  I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of both the software and
the hardware (mostly I just try to ignore the fact it has a 386 :-).
The SCO documentation is as good or better than any of the previous systems
I've had to work on.  Most everything I've tried to port has come up
with no problems.

Prior to getting the MPE, my primary development machine was a Mac-II running
A/UX.  Subjectively, the MPE seems to be just as fast, if not faster.  The
multiple virtual terminals on the console (or whatever they are officially
called -- I can switch between 12 of them at the touch of a function key)
are more useful than the windowing "term" package on the Mac-II.  Add to
that a real backup device (streaming tape rather than Mac floppies), 9
REAL serial ports (I never did get modem control working on the Mac for
both dialin and dialout), etc. have convinced me to switch over to the
MPE as my primary machine.  The price was also about half of what we
have invested in the Mac-II.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf