Problem with uucp login with SCO XENIX 2.3.1

Bill Kennedy bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
Wed Jan 11 12:32:38 AEST 1989

In article <210 at tiamat.FSC.COM> jim at tiamat.FSC.COM (Jim O'Connor) writes:
>In article <439 at acheron.UUCP>, clarke at acheron.UUCP (Ed Clarke) writes:
>> I don't understand why you want to give uucp logins a private home
>> [ ... ]
>
>The practice of separate home directories parallels the practice of
>separate login accounts, and is convenient if your uucp neighbors are sending
>in files.

I suggest that this point is moot because HDB includes a script, "uuto"
which creates a rather lengthy path that is absolutely unique insofar as
the originating site!user and the destination site!user  are concerned.
Any user at any site can send a file to another user at another site with
little risk of file name collision in uucppublic if you stick with uuto.

I'm not trying to diminish the utility of separate directories to enable
transfers to ~account, but if you can uuto filename site!user, it seems
to be as easy as mail (at least to me).
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill at ssbn.WLK.COM