Problem with uucp login with SCO XENIX 2.3.1

Jim O'Connor jim at tiamat.FSC.COM
Thu Jan 12 02:36:08 AEST 1989

In article <609 at ssbn.WLK.COM>, bill at ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
> In article <210 at tiamat.FSC.COM> jim at tiamat.FSC.COM (Jim O'Connor) writes:
> >The practice of separate home directories parallels the practice of
> >separate login accounts, and is convenient if your uucp neighbors are sending
> >in files.
> I suggest that this point is moot because HDB includes a script, "uuto"
> which creates a rather lengthy path that is absolutely unique insofar as
> the originating site!user and the destination site!user  are concerned.

That's great, and I agree "uuto" is the better solution, but unfortunately
not everyone has HDB available.  At the time we were running Version 2 uucp,
and this method was the simplest available.

> I'm not trying to diminish the utility of separate directories to enable
> transfers to ~account, but if you can uuto filename site!user, it seems
> to be as easy as mail (at least to me).

uuto is one of the many great features added in HDB, but unless Altos goes
through some big shakedown, us poor soles with Xenix3.4b on the 80286
machines will probably be stuck with Version 2 uucp as long as the machines
stay around (which shouldn't be too much longer :-).

--jim