Looking at Pathalias and Xenix

Jim O'Connor jim at tiamat.FSC.COM
Thu Jan 12 02:45:17 AEST 1989

In article <404 at ispi.UUCP>, jbayer at ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
> In article <1989Jan9.134250.27793 at ateng.ateng.com> chip at ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> =>I think it hits the top of memory (my system has 2048K, with 1402K as
> =>the maximum user process size) and tries to swap. Maybe it is a system bug.
> =
> =Well, I have 3.5M.  Perhaps that's it.
>
> Funny.  I have pathalias working on a 2 meg machine.  It currently
> takes about 10-15 minutes to chew on the maps, but it works fine.
> Perhaps it is the fact it is running on a 386 that makes it work.

If you are running Xenix 386 with a decent swap area, you're maximum user
process size could be as large as several MB  (I've got 2 meg ram and a
max user proc size of over 5 meg due to large swap area; call it paranoia).
That's the beauty of demand-paged virtual memory.

It's only the 80286 machines (or perhaps 386 machines running 286 Xenix) that
have these major memory problems.

--jim