Looking at Pathalias and Xenix

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Thu Jan 12 08:37:02 AEST 1989

In article <404 at ispi.UUCP> jbayer at ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>Funny.  I have pathalias working on a 2 meg machine.  It currently
>takes about 10-15 minutes to chew on the maps, but it works fine.
>Perhaps it is the fact it is running on a 386 that makes it work.

The 386 makes all the difference. On the 286 you can only swap whole
processes, meaning that you cannot have a process that is larger than
your physical memory minus the kernel. On a 2Mbyte machine that is
less than 1.5Mbyte in most cases. When you boot the machine it will tell
you what the largest process size is.

On the 386 you have virtual memory, meaning that you can have processes
of which only a part is in physical memory and the rest is in the swap-
space. A process can usually be larger than your physical memory too.
The maximum process size is determined by sizes of system tables and by
the size of your swap space, but not by the amount of ram.

Paul.