ESDI Disk Drive for IBM PS/2-80 and SCO Xenix

bill vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Sun Jan 22 01:18:17 AEST 1989

In article <921 at wasatch.UUCP> kessler%cons.utah.edu at wasatch.UUCP (Robert R. Kessler) writes:

>After reading recent postings, it seems that the ESDI drives have the
>best performance characteristics for our requirements on our PS/2-80
>SCO Xenix system.  So, the obvious question, is what controller
>manufacturers and drives have you netlanders had success with?

Unless you have the model 80 with the 40 meg drive you already have an ESDI
controller in it.  The 80-71, 80-111, 80-311 have 70, 115 and 315 meg drives
in them.  The latter two are 20 mhz machines.  The 80-71 is 16mhz.  The 70-41
(??) the one with the 40 meg drive is not ESDI.  If that is the one you have
you are going to have to go to IBM for the controller I suspect.  No reason
for add-on controllers on machines that have them as standard - since there is
no floppy 80 listed.

You can support up to two ESDI's in the box.  I think (THINK!) there is a
limitation on how large they can be with SCO.  That probably will change.  I
currently have the 70-111.  When I need another drive it will be the 300.
Magazine reviews testing the 80 have plugged in many mfrs ESDI drives with no
problems.

  It

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill at bilver.UUCP