2.3.1 text corruption

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Mon Jun 5 06:08:31 AEST 1989

In article <26353 at lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> carlson at lll-winken.LLNL.GOV (Joe Carlson) writes:

>        I am experiencing a rather odd corruption problem under XENIX 386
>2.3.1.  Basically it appears that the in-core version of certain heavily
>used programs appears to get corrupted every once in a while. I believe that
>I have eliminated hardware trouble as the cause of this.

I wouldn't be so sure.

This showed up last night after adding a second controller and disk drive to
our system here (2.3.2).  The symptoms were 'cc' core dumping with a
segmentation violation, wierd unreproducable problems with the tape drive,
and even as kernel panic (TRAP in system mode!)

I am going to try moving boards around and see if it goes away.  We have
never seen this one before; it's brand new and just started happening after
we added the secondary controller.  It may be related to board position; we
had to move things around to get the second board in the box, and the system
is stuffed now.  I will be moving the tape drive controller away from the
disk controllers, and in general trying a few things over the next few days.

>	It appears that there is a text cache kept in the kernel which
>has corrupted it's entry for program in question.... rebooting the system
>clears the trouble (or making another disk copy as I show above).  The problem
>appears VERY sporadically and has hit a number of programs on the system
>(/bin/sh and /etc/nntpd[one of my own]) that get run a lot.

I've seen this happen with the tape drive too; it seems tied to heavy load
and secondary controller activity.  It's not yet been isolated here, but I
will report to the net when we have something more concrete.

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]