port shutdown

Dave Hammond daveh at marob.masa.com
Fri Jun 23 23:50:32 AEST 1989

In article <24025 at dhw68k.cts.com> johngm at dhw68k.cts.com (John Miller) writes:
>In article <5542 at ozdaltx.UUCP>, root at ozdaltx.UUCP (root) writes:
>> I'm running into a strange problem since I've started using
>> a new modem.  The message,
>>
>> "garbage or loose cable on serial dev 8, port shut down" [...]

This should be one of those `frequently-asked-questions' :->

The `garbage or ...' message is quite generic.  It appears *anytime*
that there is any problem with the RS-232 level signals on a COM line.

Problems can stem from poor cable wiring, poor shielding, improper
(or more often *intermittent*) CD, CTR, DSR or RING signal levels, etc.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh at marob.masa.com