port shutdown

Russ Kepler russ at bbx.UUCP
Tue Jun 27 09:03:07 AEST 1989

In article <5542 at ozdaltx.UUCP>, root at ozdaltx.UUCP (root) writes:
> I'm running into a strange problem since I've started using
> a new modem.  The message,
>
> "garbage or loose cable on serial dev 8, port shut down" [...]

OK, this one has been running around for a while and I haven't
seen anyone else answer...

If the message is appearing on serial post that are actually
internal modems a fix exists from SCO:

xnx128
Internal Modem Supplement

The letter associated say that the update (replacement libio.a
files) will fix the problem reported in the 'garbage or loose'
message above.  I've set this up for a few folks (one of them
fairly desperate for the fix this last weekend) and it really
does seem to fix the problem.

If anyone needs it it should be loadable from sosco.  If you
can't get it send me email & I can probably make it available
using uucp or something else...

--
Russ Kepler -  Basis International
SNAILMAIL:  5901 Jefferson NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109