Filenames -- converting

M.R.Murphy mrm at sceard.UUCP
Wed Jun 14 07:16:32 AEST 1989

In article <25879 at beta.lanl.gov> srb at beta.UUCP ( Steve Berger ) writes:

> I have a directory with all the filenames in Uppercase letters.
> I'd like to move them all to lowercase.
>
> Is there an easy way to do that?  I figure there must be a way using
> sed  or something, but I haven't figured it out yet, and I don't want to
> go thru and  use  mv to move each file name, that will take me forever.
>
> Any ideas will be appreciated.
>
> Steve Berger
>
> srb at lanl.gov

In all of the followups to this posting that I saw, I didn't notice
anyone mention the possible advisability of checking that the
translation to lowercase of the filename in question might produce
a filename that already exists in the directory in question. This, then,
might cause unwanted or unexpected results if some of the simpler scripts
were used verbatim.

Pedantic, eh?

If I had a dime for each time I've spouted "Oops" or stronger 1.8sec
after hitting <CR> with my right little finger, I could buy a good book
on shell programming :-)

Typing FMT DK0:/VE=DK1: in DOS-11 with a source pack on DK0: and
a scratch on DK1: at 2AM comes to mind.

---
Mike Murphy  Sceard Systems, Inc.  544 South Pacific St. San Marcos, CA  92069
mrm at Sceard.COM        {hp-sdd,nosc,ucsd,uunet}!sceard!mrm      +1 619 471 0655