Filenames -- converting

William Davidsen davidsen at sungod.crd.ge.com
Thu Jun 15 04:08:20 AEST 1989

In article <895 at sceard.UUCP> mrm at sceard.UUCP (0040-M.R.Murphy) writes:

| In all of the followups to this posting that I saw, I didn't notice
| anyone mention the possible advisability of checking that the
| translation to lowercase of the filename in question might produce
| a filename that already exists in the directory in question.

  The xxu program I suggested includes this checking. If you say "oops"
1.8 sec after doing something you are far more polite than I... what I
usually say is not suitable for posting, and I often say it while the
finger is still pressing down the key, when the brain says "no, stop!",
and the finger muscles say "wait a mo, I'm pressing this RETURN key...
ok, now I'll pull away from it."

  I run shell functions for a few of the things which I most like to
type wrong, as well. Let the computer do the error checking.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen