file corruption

glenn ford glenn at ocsmd.ocs.com
Mon Jun 12 23:03:51 AEST 1989

I run an 80286 SCO Box, and was doing a DOSCP (from floppy to disk) and
everything seemed to go O.K..  Later when trying to run certain of my
own programs I ran into a bad file.  I did a ls -lF and the filename was
OK, but the file size was some scrambled variable length of numbers and
characters.  NOW, I look around some more and find some additional 20-30
files with the same problem!  Even a directory was ruined and all
beneath it.  I rebooted and went into single user and ran fsck, and sure
enough it found more files which it called 'EMPTY'.

My questions are:  Has anyone experienced this before?  What causes it?
Are there any cures????  Thank you in advance.

Glenn Ford
..uunet!ocsmd!stsim!glenn