source for WD1007WA2

Erik Murrey erik at mpx2.mpx.com
Mon Jun 19 23:23:22 AEST 1989

In article <3611 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>If the BIOS is enabled, you are normally running at 34 sectors per track,
>with the 35th being set up as "sector 0".  The controller is smart enough to
>reformat a track so that a defect (if it occurs) is in sector zero, thus
>making it invisible.  This only works if there is ONE defect in a given
>track.

But, can the WD1007 run with 36 sectors/track?  My adaptek can, and it gives
me that much more room on my disk.  If the WD board forces 34 or 35 secs,
and always uses a 36th for bad tracking, then I loose 1/36th of my space.
This is nonsense.  Why must they waste that much space when most OS-es can
do their own bad track managing.

I want to switch to a track buffered ESDI controller that supports 1:1 and
36 secs.  Any ideas?  My adaptek (2320) doesn't have a track buffer,
and it can't keep up with 1:1 with SCO controlling it...

... Erik
--
Erik Murrey                            /|   //  /~~~~/  |  /
MPX Data Systems, Inc.                / | / /  /____/   |/