source for WD1007WA2

John Boteler bote at csense.UUCP
Tue Jun 27 02:43:43 AEST 1989

>From article <3611 at ddsw1.MCS.COM>, by karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger):
> ...This can be VERY useful if your
> operating system will not install without an exact match in the ROM drive
> tables, as these tables will not go out beyond 1024 cyls.
> IF this happens, you will need to disable the onboard BIOS
> completely, although you can do it AFTER formatting (providing your OS can
> handle > 1024 cyl drives; Xenix can do this) and still get what appears to
> be an error-free device.
>
> Adaptec has been problematical for me in the past.  DTC, which also makes
> ESDI boards, hasn't managed to get one here for evaluation yet, so I have no
> idea what their boards are like.

I have seen a very few commercial BIOS tables include drive types
with cylinder counts greater than 1024. I do not have names
readily available. These make life so much easier, since many
low-level formatting routines will not format > 1024 cylinders
unless they see a drive table entry with a cylinder count
greater than 1024. Big AAARRGHH!

I am glad to see someone else acknowledge that Xenix can
handle big drives. Thank you.

If you are waiting for DTC to actually ship a reported
product, I hope you have tickets for a 6-month cruise around
the world--I mean, you might as well enjoy the wait!!

--
Bote
uunet!cyclops!csense!bote