Computone grumbling

Jeff Tye jeff at swusrgrp.UUCP
Thu Jun 29 05:30:27 AEST 1989

In article <37 at consult.UUCP>, bob at consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:

> Computone provides an excellent product, and like ANY vendor, is bound
> to do something that someone will not like.
> But BEFORE you flame a vendor (apparently to thwart anyone else from
> using a very good product), and generally post a message that "Yes,

I disagree. Computone boards do not handle hardware handshaking very well.
I had to replace every Computone board out in the field because most of
our devices require hardware handshaking (I'm talking all 8 signals, RTS,
CTS, DSR, DTR, DCD, RX, TX, GND). I replaced them with Corollary 8x4 Mux
boards. All the problems with printers, terminals, input devices and
modems were solved.

I also found that the pass-thru print function can't handle a large amount
of data especially with lots of terminals doing the same thing. One customer
was losing parts of their print. Nobody at Computone could explain why it
was happening. Replacing the board with a Corollary and in another instance
a Digiboard solved that problem as well.

> Put your mind in gear, before you mouth...

A bit extreme, Bob. I think the guy was justified in his comments. At least
that is what my experience tells me. I will never sell a Computone board again
either.

--
Jeff Tye
ncar!noao!asuvax!hrc!swusrgrp!jeff