Computone grumbling

Tony Holden tony at jassys.UUCP
Wed Jun 14 14:06:54 AEST 1989

First of all thanks to Raulin Olivera for sending the old drivers.
And thanks to the others that offered.  The net comes through again.

As we all know SCO as upgraded to 2.3.  I have a client that I advised
to upgrade due to problems with a Five-star '386 on 2.2.

Before I even ordered the upgrade from SCO I called Computone and
asked if there was anything that I needed to do.  I was told "No, in
fact you don't need a copy of the drivers any longer.  Xenix now has
the drivers built in."  Great!!

When the 2.3 upgrade from SCO arrived I looked thru the docs.  No
mention of Computone boards.  Growl.  Called Jeff in Tech
Support at Computone.  Jeff sez "Sorry but the board needs to be
upgraded, $150 and send me the board".  There's nothing wrong with the
board.  I don't want it to be upgraded, only to work with SCO 2.3.
Jeff sez "Some systems with work with the old drivers and some don't.
Don't know why."

After the postings to this group for help with copies of the drivers
(yea Raulin) I try installing everything.  Yes sports fans the
ATvantage-8 will not initialize.  Call Jeff again and get "Sorry but I
told you it might not work.  *UPGRADE*, you'll like it."

Now my bitchin starts.

Here we have a board that's workin great.  No complaints.  Just sits
there and does it's job.

All I want is to be able to use this board with 2.3.  I don't want a
$150 upgrade and a week worth of downtime.  But instead I'm forced
into something that I don't want.  BTW, this machine was 1yr old in Feb
of this year.

Looks like to me that Computone saw a way to make a nice little bundle
fast at the expense of past customers.

Never again will I consider a Computone product.

Pissed again.

--
Tony Holden
egsner!jassys!tony at texbell.swbt.com