how to install Xenix plus PC DOS on IBM PC hard disk

Todd Merriman todd at stiatl.UUCP
Sat Mar 4 00:01:59 AEST 1989

In article <8903030223.AA18546 at decwrl.dec.com> pogoh at zgom21.dec.com writes:
>I would like to have Xenix & DOS coexist on the hard disk of an IBM PC
>XT compatible.  Can someone tell me in detail how to install the two
>OS on the hard disk?

(1) Are you sure you want Xenix on an 8088?
(2) Most manufacturers of disk controller boards supply disk preparation
    software with which you will:
    (a) low-level format the hard disk
    (b) boot, and install MSDOS
(3) Under MSDOS, high-level format the disk and create a partition
    for MSDOS and a partition for XENIX.
(4) Select XENIX as the primary partition
(5) Boot, and install XENIX

Thereafter, the loading of the boot sector, which has been provided by
XENIX in the primary partition, will allow you to select whether to
boot MSDOS or XENIX.

I can't really give more detailed instructions than this, as the
installation procedure depends primarily on your disk formatting software.
I, fortunately, had help configuring my machine from someone very
experienced in such things; and you may look for that kind of expertise
in your local user groups.

	...!gatech!stiatl!todd
	Todd Merriman 404-377-8638
	Atlanta, GA