VP/ix vs Merge

Edward C. Unrein ecu at libcmp.UUCP
Fri Mar 17 23:44:54 AEST 1989

In article <15814 at cup.portal.com>, compata at cup.portal.com (Dave H Close) writes:
> Most of you have probably noticed in SCO's latest newsletter their announcement
> of Open Desktop.  This product includes DOS Merge from Locus.  In the same
> newsletter, SCO announces a free upgrade for VP/ix (which support tells me isn'
> actually ready, the announcement was "very premature").
>
> What does this mean?  So far as I know, those are the only two DOS-under-Unix
> products available.  Is SCO abandoning VP/ix, perhaps because of all the
> complaints recently aired on the net?  Is Merge any better?
>
> Dave Close, Compata, Arlington, Texas
> compata at cup.portal.com

Unfortunately you are correct in you assumption of SCO's abandonment of VP/ix.
Our company is a Level III authorized reseller and a member of SCO's
Reseller/VAR Advisory Board(one of only 10 Resellers) and we have been
informed of the decision to support Merge.

This hasn't been released to the general public at this time, only minor hints
via way of SCO's Discover publication.

We have spoken with Interactive regarding same but have only received a
response stating that they were part of VP/ix's development and are now in
direct market conflict with Santa Cruz Operations.

Ed Unrein		(peora!rtmvax!libcmp!ecu)
Liberty Computers, Inc.	(407) 293-6346 office voice number
UNIX guest account	(407) 299-6947 TELEBIT (8N1) login: guest
UUCP: libcmp Any (speed any) 14072996947 ogin:-""-ogin:-""-ogin:nuucp