UUCP performance

Kory Hamzeh kory at avatar.UUCP
Wed Mar 29 16:36:10 AEST 1989

In article <603 at marob.MASA.COM>, manes at marob.MASA.COM (Steve Manes) writes:
> From article <601 at marob.MASA.COM>, by daveh at marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond):
> > The following excerpts from the /usr/spool/uucp/.Admin/xferstats file
> > indicate that (for this particular session) the actual file transfer rate
> > over a 2400 baud line was around 75 cps (well under a reasonable *1200*
> > baud transfer rate):
>
> I heard an unconfirmed story that Xenix 2.3's UUCP transfer time
> accounting is broken and shouldn't be trusted.  According to a friend of
> mine, he spent several hours sending files from his machine to a Xenix
> machine in Texas and the difference in transfer time, according to the
> logs of the two respective machines, was almost a factor of 2.  He says
> he believes that it's a bug in the reading of the HZ variable.

Yes, there is a bug in Xenix 2.3.1 HDB uucico. It reports the wrong
transfer rate. Its because for some stupid reason, it hardcoded for a
HZ=20 machine (an XT!!!). 286 and 386 have HZ set to 50. Here is a patch
you can make to fix this problem:

Run "adb -w" on uucico (in /usr/lib/uucp, you will need to be root)
Here is a script:
----- start of patch ----
$ adb -w uucico
* $x
* millitick+32?ia
_millitick+0x32:		mov	ax,0x14
_millitick+0x35:
* .?x
_millitick+0x32:		0x14b8
* .?w 32b8
_millitick+0x32:		0x14b8=	0x32b8
* .?ia
_millitick+0x32:		mov	ax,0x32
_millitick+0x35:
* $q

$
---- end of patch ----

If you're wondering, the mov ax,0x14 is setting up a divide by 20 for
HZ=20 machines.  The 0x32 changes it to 50 for HZ=50 machines..

Hope it helps,
--kory

Kory Hamzeh			    UUCP:     ..!uunet!psivax!quad1!avatar!kory
				    INTERNET: avatar!kory at quad.com