Need help installing 2nd HD

Stacy L. Millions stacy at mcl.UUCP
Sun Mar 26 03:38:56 AEST 1989

In article <6339 at turnkey.TCC.COM>, jack at turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
> In article <558 at ispi.UUCP> jbayer at ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
> >In article <16070 at cup.portal.com> Chip_N_Oliver at cup.portal.com writes:
> >># mount /dev/hd10 /u
>  	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >if you are going to do it this way you will want to use /dev/hd1?  where
> >the ? is the partition number you want to mount.  hd10 refers to the
> >entire hard disk.
>
> Jonathan is correct about the above, but since Chip indicated that he could
> use this second drive to boot from and that it was just a copy of the first
> drive I suspect what he really should be doing is reinitializing the drive
> as just new filesystems. As it is it has a boot and root on it which are
> not terribly useful. What you (Chip) really should do is run mkdev hd and
> set up new partitions and filesystems. Mkdev will do all the right things
> for you like make reasonable devs to mount, like /dev/user instead of
> fooling around with /dev/hdxx. After that all you will need to do is to
> make up the new mount points you want and update /etc/default/filesys
> to control whether you want the new filesystems mounted automatically when
> going multiuser, etc.

Right, but if you want to salvage any usefull information that might
already be residing on the drive, you will have to create some new
devices for root and u (if you had one) filesystems on the second drive

mknod /dev/hd1root b ? 104	( don't remember what sco uses for major #)
mknod /dev/hd1u b    ? 106	( for the hard disk, I think 0 )

then
mount /dev/hd1root /mnt
mount /dev/hd1u    /mnt/u

Then you can back up or copy over any useful data you want before
doing what Jack suggests and remaking your file systems.

I would also suggest you find the person who initially put the system
together (two boot drives that you have to switch cables around to
go from one to the other!) and giv him a good swift kick in the left
shin :-)

-stacy

--

"You should not drink and bake."