Trouble with modem control

Tim Philip Cadell Zap at cup.portal.com
Sat Mar 11 12:31:40 AEST 1989

I have a problem with my modem: I have been using it with "enable tty1a"
which, as I found out recently, doesn't have modem control and the
system doesn't automatically logout if I get disconnected.  Well, in order
to use "ungetty" (I'm starting to use usenet now and need to dial out on
that port) I have to have the enable/disable attached to port tty1A.
My problem is this: anytime the modem receives a ring, it displays a
system message like this "garbage or loose connection on serial port 0;
disabling port" or something like that and then it apparently ungettys
the port.  My dialout is working fine but now I can't call INTO the system!

Any suggestions?

Zap Savage (aka Tim Cadell)