Problems with Paradise VGA

Tom Neff tneff at well.UUCP
Mon Mar 13 08:15:51 AEST 1989

In article <9031 at alice.UUCP> debra at alice.UUCP () writes:
>I have trouble getting an Everex Step 386/25 to work with AT&T System V-3.2.
>I have a Paradise VGA 16 card which works very well under miserable dos,
>but when I boot Unix the screen goes blank and remains black all the time.
>I can actually log on and perform a shutdown.

You need the VGA drivers for Release 3.2.  Did you install them?  If
you didn't, go back to your EGA or whatever you had in the Everex
before, get hold of the VGA driver install disks from your distributor,
install the drivers and rebuild the kernel; then put the VGA in and
bring 'er up.

Remember that when you install a new display adapter under DOS you
always use its new ROM at the same time, so DOS stays happy.  UNIX
doesn't use the ROM so it has to have new drivers whenever you add an
unfamiliar device.

>                                              I can also activate Simultask,
>which displays some garbage in a CGA-like mode. Upon exit from Simultask
>the system hangs.

Simul-Task provides a ROM image for your DOS process to use; this is
stored in a file called EGAROM or VGAROM respectively.  There is no
guarantee in general that the ROMfile AT&T provides will drive your
display adapter correctly.  I suggest you comment out the VGAROM like
in your 'vpix.cnf' to force Simul-Task to use the native VGAROM image
instead of from a file.

I also suspect there is a problem with the ROM buffer size on Simul-Task.
When I tried to save the ROM image from my new Paradise card to disk,
Simul-Task hung every time it tried to load it.  It was 32k.

--
Tom Neff                  tneff at well.UUCP
                       or tneff at dasys1.UUCP