Huge directories in XENIX

RICHARD RONTELTAP richard at neabbs.UUCP
Sat Mar 25 06:23:57 AEST 1989

[ Huge directories ]

(I'm on a BBS now, and can't qoute)

The 32k limit on a directory file really seemed to be the problem.
Since there are only +- 1700 files in the directory now, I resolved
the problem by creating a new direcory, moving all the files of the
huge directory to the new one, and renaming the new to the old.

find . -print seemed to work OK for backing up, but I didn't know
about using xargs with tar.

Just out of curiosity, could the 64K limit of small model 286 programs
have anything to do with it? Anyway, although there won't be much UNIX
users that have a directory with >2K files, in this case it really is
the most practical solution. The 32K restriction seems pointless, or
am I missing something?

Richard
(...!mcvax!neabbs!richard)