Huge directories in XENIX

Jim Morton jim at applix.UUCP
Sun Mar 26 08:51:04 AEST 1989

In article <118947 at neabbs.UUCP>, richard at neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) writes:
> " Huge directory < /bbs/files/ibm >--call administrator "
> Is it written somewhere: Thou shalt not have a directory with over 2K entries?

Not that I know of, but thou shalt not have a directory with more than
1000 subdirectories - that is the maximum number of links a directory
can have in System V - attempting to create the 1001st directory link
will get you the EMLINK error. Hopefully this will be extended in
System V.4.

--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim