MicroPort console trashes clock??

Stephen Hocking shocking at physiol.su.oz
Mon Mar 6 18:42:45 AEST 1989

In article <13302 at steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
<
< because it fails to keep up with the input form the serial line.
<
<   Examination showed that the display rate was about 800 cps, just
< enough slower than a 9600 baud connection to make it lose data
< constantly. When trying to time the actual transfer rate, we created a
< file with ls which was 11347 bytes long. We did a cat of it to the
< screen and "time" reported 5.4 sec elapsed time for a speed of 2101
< cps. The clock on the wall reported 14.2 sec, however. Repeating the
< test showed that the time command was simply lying about the elapsed
< time.
<...........
<   I would think this is of general interest, but if you disagree send
< mail instead of posting.
< --
< 	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)
>   {uunet | philabs}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen
> "Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

	It's probably something to do with writes to the console being at a
particular interrupt level. A bit of discussion was around recently about
sundry people writing 1Mb to the 386 console under Xenix and having this
screw up the clock something woeful.

	Stephen
--------
	Stephen Hocking 	ACSnet shocking at physiol.su.oz
				UUCP ...!uunet!munnari!physiol.su.oz!shocking