Tape Drives

Brian Hilchie brian at alzabo.UUCP
Thu Mar 9 01:00:42 AEST 1989

In article <96 at raider.MFEE.TN.US> root at raider.MFEE.TN.US (Bob Reineri) writes:
>I am considering the purchase of a mini cartridge tape drive (DC2000) by
>Colorado Memory Systems. The advertiser says "SCO Xenix" compatible.
>Any comments on performance, or lack thereof, would be greatly appreciated.

I bought one of these drives much to my regret.  I've had no problems
with the drive itself,  but the Xenix driver supplied by CMS sucks.
It can only be reliably used in single user mode (no automated late
night backups!);  otherwise sometimes tape operations hang and can't
be stopped even with kill -9.  Once my file system was corrupted.
On top of all that the driver increases the size of the kernel by 100K.
--
Brian Hilchie   <>   brian at alzabo.uucp   <>   uunet!mitel!sce!scs!alzabo!brian

"Mind you, not as bad as the night Archie Pettigrew ate some
sheep's testicles for a bet...God, that bloody sheep kicked him..."