TC/IP for SCO Xenix 386 (Public Domain)

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Mon Mar 13 11:26:02 AEST 1989

In article <269 at ubbs-nh.MV.COM> noel at ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) writes:
>Does anyone know of a public domain tc/ip which supports the 3COM
>ethernet board and which can be compiled and run under SCO Xenix 386?
>I have a couple of 3COM ethernet boards gathering dust here and I would
>like to put them to good use.

Non-public-domain TCP/IP software for XENIX 386 can be purchased from
both SCO and Streamlined Networks.  SCO supports the 3COM 3C501 card and the
WD8003E (Etherlink Plus); I don't have the SN support at hand, but
I would guess they would support these cards (as well as the Bell Tech
card, which may just be a repackaged WD8003E.)

I have used both packages now, SN/IP under Bell Tech UNIX V and
SCO TCP/IP under XENIX 386.  They both work and are worth the
money.  I'll have more to say about SCO TCP/IP once I've had more
time to stress it.

Phil Karn's KA9Q TCP/IP program is available for non-commercial
use and supports DOS out-of-the-box.  I've played with an early
version under XENIX using SLIP over serial lines--it runs as a user
process under UNIX or XENIX.  It's conceivable you could hack in
ethernet support iff you had a XENIX device driver which gave access
to the raw ethernet frames, but the support isn't there otherwise
under UNIX.  KA9Q has support for ethernet under DOS.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
dyer at arktouros.mit.edu