Xenix login source

Po Cheung Ng pcng at cad.jmrc.eecs.unsw.oz
Wed Mar 1 13:04:05 AEST 1989

>From article <168 at biar.UUCP>, by trebor at biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead):
> I am running SCO Xenix 386 on Tandy 4000 and 4000lx boxes.  I am setting up
> a special access system and want to bypass login; in other words, when
> activity is detected on a serial line, I want to spoof the login procedure,
> log into a specific account, and start running my program.
>
> Please tell me if there is an easy way to do this.  Once my user gets to
> a shell, it's easy for me to set up his profile so he starts running my
> program.  In fact, I can probably have my program as the shell.  The tricky
> part (to my unenlightened eyes) is getting him to that point without him
> having to see the login: and password: prompts.

On SCO Xenix V/286 or V/386:

Without doing much hacking, this may be a quick or temporary fix. Let say
the serial line is 'tty1a' and the acouunt you want to login in is 'acc'.

1. Disable the getty on the line

disable tty1a

2. Edit /etc/gettydefs to create a new entry with AUTO keyword in the six
   field. e.g.

X # B9600 ... # B9600 ... # \r\nlogin: # X # AUTO

3. Edit /etc/ttys so that you have an entry

1Xtty1a

4. Create an account named 'tty1a' so that in /etc/passwd you have an
   entry

tty1a:PASSWD:UID:GID:DESCRIPTION:PATH:YOUR-FAVOURITE-SHELL

5. Enable the line

enable tty1a

6. If you just want to run a program (executable, not shell script), you
   can simply replace your favourite shell to the program you want to run.
   OR change the keyword AUTO to the name of your program (That may be the
   best solution you want).

There may be minor variations to the above setup, but I know it is feasible
and does not require any hacks to existing Xenix utilities. Please refer
to gettydef(F) for more details.

       _   _. __   _,
---   /_)_(__/) )_(_)_		[ Also known as Andrew ]
     /              /|
    '              |/

Po Cheung NG                               ISD:  +61 2 697-4056
JMRC, School of Elec. Eng. and Comp. Sci., STD:  (02) 697-4056
The University of New South Wales,         FAX:  +61 2 662-2087
PO Box 1, Kensington,         ARPA: pcng%cad.jmrc.eecs.unsw.oz.au at uunet.uu.net
Sydney, NSW 2033,             JANET: cad.jmrc.eecs.unsw.oz!pcng at ukc
AUSTRALIA.                    ACSnet: pcng at cad.jmrc.eecs.unsw.oz

UUCP:  {enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,uunet,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!cad.jmrc.eecs.unsw.oz!pcng

AUSTRALIA.                    ACSnet: pcng at cad.jmrc.eecs.unsw.oz

UUCP:  {enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,uunet,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!cad.jmrc.eecs.unsw.oz!pcng