Xenix login source

Frank Bicknell frankb at usource.UUCP
Thu Mar 2 01:31:13 AEST 1989

In article <168 at biar.UUCP>, trebor at biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
> I am setting up a special access system and want to bypass
> login; in other words, when activity is detected on a serial
> line, I want to spoof the login procedure, log into a
> specific account, and start running my program.

I _think_ what you want to do is covered in an article in the
Mar/Apr '88 issue of DiSCOver.  To summarize, you put the AUTO
keyword in a new /etc/gettydefs entry.  The example given was:

p # B9600 CS8 SANE ICANON TAB3 IXANY #
	B9600 CS8 SANE TAB3 IXANY #\r\n@!login: #
	p # AUTO /etc/login

I tried that and it seems to work.  I'm not sure what the second
line is still around for: login doesn't use the prompt.  Oh,
well, excess baggage.

You edit /etc/ttys to include 'p' in the second position for the
tty which will be used.  Unlike what it hints at in the article,
be sure the port is disabled when you edit its /etc/ttys entry.

Then you use mkuser to create a user with the same name as the
port the application will be run on.  Eg: tty1a is the user
name.  Forget the password: getty isn't going to run the part of
the program that asks for it anyway.

You should modify .profile to run the application you wish to
use.

Now enable the port in the usual way.  The terminal will come
right up without having to log in.

You'll find that you can't disable the port :) .  OOPS.  They
forgot to mention that.  Here's how:

	First send init a SIGQUIT signal: kill -3 1
	Then log off the port or kill all the processes associated
		with it.
	Disable the port as you normally would.
	Finally, send init a SIGINT signal: kill -2 1

Note that new logins will be disabled after you do the kill -3 1.

After you're through experimenting and have it right, reboot to cause
init to start respawning new logins.

Is there an easier way to break into such a loop to disable the terminal?
(be glad when SCO brings forth inittab: changing the machine state won't
be so kludgy.)
--
Frank Bicknell; 1405 Main St, Ste 709; Sarasota, FL 34236-5701
killer!usource!frankb