Need help installing 2nd HD

Chip_N_Oliver at cup.portal.com Chip_N_Oliver at cup.portal.com
Tue Mar 21 17:07:02 AEST 1989

Situation:  I have stumbled upon an AT clone running Xenix V2.2.  The
system is from a sub-contractor who, for unknown reasons, provided
two identical hard disks, but a cable scenario which only allows
one hd on line at any given time.  I changed the cabling and put both
disks on the controller.  I ran the diagnostic diskette for the clone
and modified the non-volatile RAM which describes the disk configuration
to "enable" the second drive.  I then ran dparam and set /dev/hd10
identical to /dev/hd00 (or was it /dev/rhd00 and /dev/rhd10).

I thought I was home free when badtrk ran a successful non-destructive
scan of the second disk.  However, when I try to mount or fsck the second
hd, I get the following:

# mount /dev/hd10 /u

  mount: mount failed
  mount: structure needs cleaning

# fsck /dev/hd10

  CLEANING NON SYSTEM 3 FILE SYSTEM
  size check:  fsize:0  isize: 0

I should state that both disks boot just fine as the first disk on the
controller.  It's just that I can't get a second disk mounted.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

-> Chip Oliver
-> coliver at cup.portal.com
-> sun!portal!cup.portal.com!coliver